Monday, November 20

so the drama

Finally feeling more like myself. Went out Fri night to a bday party. It was at a community center and they had pizza and wings and cake. All good right. Well I tried a bite of the pizza and it tasted weird to me, smelled weird too. No one else seemed to think so though(I asked a few people).It tasted like the pizza was old and they put fresh cheese on top and reheated it. It smelled kinda moldy. Anyhoo, I only had one piece.

Then I was eating this small piece of bubble gum - it was the kind that starts out hard as a rock and after a minute or so of chewing becomes malleable. Well I just at that point when I choked. Saliva chose that moment to go into my lungs. My lungs were not amused. I gagged and coughed for a long time. My eyes were watering. People kept asking me if I was ok. As if I could answer them during my coughing/choking fit. I just kept shaking my head to say "hell no I'm not ok, still coughing spasmically" and shaking my finger to say "yeah I need a moment or two".
Finally the coughing subsided after 10min. I was in bad way by then and needed to take my inhaler. Apart from that incident which thankfully happened near the end of the night, the party was a lot of fun.

I woke up Sat at 7am with a horrible stomachache. Then I had to make a mad dash for the bathroom. Couldn't go for my morning walk. Felt awful. By 9am I already been to the loo 4 times. Felt horribly ill all day. I figured it was probably the pizza. Of course I only had 1 slice but my stomach is kinda sensitive sometimes. Either that or I caught some kind of stomach virus. I was still sick on Sunday, so no choir or church. Felt a little less like I was dying but still not quite right.
Didn't go to work today b/c my head hurt like hell and my stomach still felt kinda queasy. Probably b/c I couldn't eat much. I was so ill Sat, I barely drank anything - basic dehydration symptoms.

Talked to one of the nurses from my doc's office. She thought it was most likely stomach bug of some sort - she told several people had been in b/c of that lately. Also gave me a couple good suggestions. My stomach is still not completely right yet. At least I'm feeling hungry again. All I ate Sat was couple slices plain bread and a few crackers. The nurse suggested I also eat baked potato...something about it containing potassium. Another suggestion was popsicles - very good suggestion b/c then I can keep hydrated without it seeming like a chore. Popsicles are fun :) Not a big gatorade fan(another tip) but I got some. It kinda upset my stomach.

I know I'm definitely feeling much better b/c I'm hungry and the chocolate bar in my fridge looks real good to me now. I'm going to resist it though, at least for tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That choking sounds terrifying.

Petra said...

It is - that used to be one of my greatest fears - that I'll be choking at home, alone, where no one can aid me. Once I get over it though, it's more annoying than anything else.