Tuesday, September 5

demo-derby, gotta love it

I went to a figure-8 demolition derby Labor Day night. It was alright. Not as awesome as I imagined it'd be...I was invisioning mass mayhem...headon crashes...many sideswipes while making the figure-8 turns. But they had to do 8 laps and the car that finished 1st won $100. They had 8 races like that, then for the grand finale, the winners of each of the previous races(whose cars were still drivable) had to complete 10 laps in the last race and the winner got $1000. So they were really not trying to hit each other at all. I was kind of disappointed. There was one great crash in the 3rd race but that was about it.

I had the requisite fried dough topped with cinnamon/powdered sugar. Then I ate a sloppy joe. Haven't had a sloppy joe in years - they used to be my fav thing to get from my high school cafeteria, well, that and aloo-pie (fried potato-filled pie).
After taking my order, the lady asked, "are you here for the demolition derby?"
Me: Yup!
Sloppy Joe Lady: are you enjoying it?
Me: It's good but I'd have preferred it if there were more crashes.
Kind of strange questions but I was amused. I guess she doesn't see many black people there specifically for the demo-derby. I wanted to say that I travel around to the different county fairs just to experience the demolition derby but I figured that might be too much :) T said that it was probably b/c of my accent why she asked. maybe.

We also sat and listened to an Eagles cover band who were fairly good. What really made it great was that the picnic tables and stage were set up just downwind of the barn that held the chickens, ducks, and rabbits. You can't begin to imagine the smell. Nothing like Eagles music along with the scent of duck do-da. Then we looked at some of the animals. I could have done without that part but my friends are big on petting livestock. So I just followed along and kept my distance. Oxen are HUGE! They are about the size of a slimmer Honda Pilot. I kid you not. No way was I petting anything whose head is half my body size. That's one of my rules :)
They seemed docile enough and just stood there while my friends petted them. I also saw a huge goat as well as some regular sized-ones. It was taller than me, it had a long neck. Kind of like a giraffe-goat. C & T both insisted that it was a normal size but I have seen many goats in my time and never have I seen anything that was my height. Think about it - 5ft goat - so not normal. The fence was about 3ft tall and it looked like it was going to make a run for it soon. I stayed clear of the goat enclosure after seeing it put it's hoof on the top rung of the fence. The pygmy horses were kinda cute and well as the other baby animals. I like baby animals, just looking at them is enough for me, I don't need to pet them. There were really cute shetland lambs.
I was pretty tired after all that. Luckily T drove so I could just relax on our way back - 40min drive.

2 comments:

Eddie said...

I thought the whole point of demolition derbys was to smash the crap out of each other until you're the last car that can go?

Petra said...

Right? I think they were too interested in winning the money - where's the fun in that?