Wednesday, September 6

dentist

Went to the dentist today. Had to get a cavity filled, it was between two of my molars. I usu have to get 2 shots of novocaine at the dentist whenever I have work done and today was no exception. He gave me the first shot, then waited, checked with the sharp dentist tool, still not numb. Waited some more, still not. Then he said he'd give me a booster. He's got really great technique b/c I hardly feel the needle going in and he goes slowly enough that I barely notice it (apart from the fact that my mouth is open wider than is comfortable). Took another 5 min then boom, numb numb numb. He did lots of drilling. Then halfway through one of the nurses came in and was asking him questions so he stopped for a bit. I wanted to say - "hey c'mon, we're on the clock here" b/c even though my mouth always takes long to become numb, it starts wearing off along the gumline fast. Finally he was just starting to do final shaping and polishing when I could feel everything he was doing. Not good. So I waved and mumbled that I could feel it and he tried to finish quickly.

My tongue and lip stayed really numb for about 2 hrs but my gum tissue returned to normal. Very weird not being able to feel half your tongue or lip yet be able to feel how sore your gums are. The numbness is all gone but now I feel the after-effects of all the pressure I felt while he was working on my teeth - pressure is all you feel while under novocaine's wonderful influence. I can now feel the pain of all that pressure. I took a couple advil 40 min ago and the pain's just beginning to lessen. Thank God. Don't feel like I can eat anything solid yet. Maybe in another 30min. I hope b/c I'm hungry.

No comments: