Tuesday, August 29

brakes

I don't give out advice much - I do have one piece to impart today though - have a brake inspection done on your car at least once a year- the inspection is free at many places like midas/munro or any place that does brake/muffler work.

I had 30k mileage service done on my car a year and half ago. Had state inspection done Feb this year. I guess I can excuse the dealership who did my 30k service b/c maybe my brakes weren't in danger then. Those people who do the state inspection(namely valvoline in my case) should have noticed that my brake pads/shoes were worn. They didn't care enough to notify me of this. There is no common courtesy where this is concerned. You're on your bloody own. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a loud noise coming from my car. It wasn't constant and sometimes happened when I braked but not every time I braked. It kept getting worse and more frequent. So I took it in to Midas last night. That sound I was hearing - apparently metal grinding against metal b/c my brake pads had worn down completely to the rotors. I had to have both front rotors as well as brake pads replaced to the tune $400 - incl labor and parts.

Just when I think I can get ahead, start making some progress (small) towards getting out of debt...something else comes up. It's like I'm fighting a losing battle. I was quite depresed about this yesterday. I'm glad I got it done though. I did briefly consider leaving to get a 2nd estimate someplace else. But then I thought about how late it already was (6pm) and that I probably wouldn't be able to get the work the same day.Then I thought that it wasn't worth $10-50 to me. I would surely write off such amounts if my brakes failed b/c I was trying to get a bargain price. Is it worth being maimed or killed or causing harm to someone else. Not in the least. I did talk to a few guys at work who told me that if it was just brake pads/shoes, it cost $100-200 and if I needed to replace the rotors then ~$400. Still cheaper than the dealer would have charged me at any rate.

It rained almost constantly today. Boy was I glad to have my brakes in top working order.

Check your brakes people, check your brakes.

2 comments:

Eddie said...

I hear ya about attempting to get out of debt but suffering continual minor setbacks. It feels like treading water.

Petra said...

yeah and it's all you can do to keep afloat...pun intended...at least I haven't lost my sense of humor yet :)