Thursday, August 31

itchy and scratchy

Went for allergy shots yesterday after work, waited the usual 20min after the shots, no problem. I asked the nurse if I was in time - within 14 days - but then she said no it was 15 days. Within 14 days they can increase the dosage but after that they can't incr it, they have to stay at the same dosage as last time. Good thing I asked b/c she wrote the increased dosage down, then after my question, she croseed it out and wrote the saem dosage as last time. It's a good thing that I asked and she corrected it....
About an hr later, I was at home and was eating a plum. That's when I noticed that my mouth felt funny, kinda chalky aftertaste. Then my lip felt weird, then sort of swollen. That's when I realized I was having some kind of allergic reaction. So out came the liquid benadryl - I took the max dose recommended. Within 10min, I had hives on my face and my body was very itchy. Reared back after looking at my face in the mirror - scary sight. After about 20min, the swelling started going down. At first I thought I might be allergic to the plum I ate but I've had it before in the past week without any ill effects so it must have been due to the allergy shots. I haven't had a reaction like that to them before. The shots are the reason I have liquid benadryl in my medicinie cabinet.
The benadryl knocked me out. I'd planned to go to the laudromat, but thought it'd be a bad idea to drive after my benadryl dose. Good thing b/c I was alseep within 30-40min sometime around 8pm. Next thing I knew it was 2am. Had trouble getting back to sleep.

I was itchy off and on all day today. E asked me if I called the doc office. But I didn't b/c I figured they'd just tell me to do what I did - take benadryl, rest. Tonight I'm itchy again but no swelling. Just took some benadryl, smaller dose this time. Going to get ready for bed soon - that way I can be ready for when I pass out :)

No comments: