Friday, August 18

my place

My new apt still feels like just that - "my new apt". It doesn't feel like home yet. I wake up in the morning stil expecting to see the walls of my old apt but no, they're different and the walls are closer in since the rooms are smaller. Still sleeping on my futon. So I have to put it up and down every day and that is a pain. None of this is helping me settle in. Going to get my bedroom sorted tomorrow. Haven't hung any pictures up yet. I'm going to order the split box spring for my bed. Once I get that in and I can finally sleep in my bed again, maybe then I'll feel like this is my place.

Also need to move my shelves around and get the books out of the boxes and onto them. Fact is that I just have too much stuff and I don't know where to put half of it. A lot of it is unnecessary. It must be b/c I've managed to live without seeing/knowing the exact location of msny of them for the last 3 weeks. Got to get my clothes out of the suitcases and into the closets. Fewer closets as well.
At least my kitchen is more or less in order. I'm getting a kitchen island secondhand on the weekend and that should be a big plus space-wise. There's isn't much in the way of counter-space. And it has lower shelves so I'll be able to get my cookbooks out and put them there.

It's difficult to wind down in the evenings when I'm surrounded by all this clutter. I'm hoping to make a major jump into all this tomorrow and Sun.

I imagine that all the unrest I'm feeling is normal after living in the same place for 4yrs. It just seems like a lot all at once.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to internet land! I hope you get some good unpacking done this weekend and start to feel settled in your new home. I HATE that in-between feeling. And man, after four years in one place!! To me that is a looong time. The longest I've lived anywhere (since home w/my parents) was a year. I am sick of moving, obviously.

Petra said...

Thx Jen. I have moved 4 times in the last 9 years. I have tons more stuff now than I did when I moved the other times. When I moved here 4 yrs ago I had a bed, tv, and clothes. That was it...Ah, the good ole days.