Monday, July 3

Fun times

Went out Fri night - dancing with my bff S (not my term but coined for us by a woman we know - my response to that was of course - are we 14 again? :)
It was great fun, haven't been dancing in a while and was really in the mood. Considering all the junk I ate that day, it was a good way to burn off the calories. Only bad thing was that they played 50 cents latest so many times I almost wanted to jab a sharp object in my ear to try to drown it out. What was great is that they played a lot of the Dub I grew up with from my teens - at least 15 or 16 years ago.

Those were the days my friend, those were the days - days when the public transport of choice for most teens my age were these medium(24 seats) and small(12) sized buses (called maxi-taxis or just maxis) which were decorated and had cool names emblazoned on the front (like 'quiet riot' or 'checkers' or 'tiny dancer'. Real names people. And then there would be what we call the 'hard-pong' which is literally how loud they could play their music before people started bleeding from their ears(not literally but close enough :). Most of the music played(pounded) was Dub or ragga or reggae. There was also the rock maxis and the chutney or kaiso maxis.
Maxis are colour coded depending on their route and their prices are fixed from point A to B. So very convenient for traveling about the island. They're not allowed to play their music so loudly anymore, several laws were passed outlawing it - all for the good really, at least for the good of their/our hearing.

I was not the coolest teen and tended to avoid these fast-driving, extremely loud, maxis and opted instead for the quieter, unnamed, smaller maxis more commonly/derogatively known as bread-vans. You don't want to be seen coming out of one of these if you are in the cool cliques at school. Whenever I traveled with my cousin, she insisted that we wait for one of the cooler, hard-pong maxis since she wouldn't have been caught dead in a bread-van. Ahhh. Fun times.

No comments: