Saturday, July 22

movers

I'm getting movers to move my stuff. My initial plan was to have them only come for about an hr and just move my heavier items. But most have some sort of minimum time limit so even though their rate for 2 guys seemed reasonable, with the added min time, it just seemed like was too much money to have them move 4-5 things. I did get a few slightly cheaper quotes but no help to me b/c they want cash/check and I have to put it all my credit card. But it's fine. I just didn't think it was fair to ask my friends to move my heavy stuff (queen bed/futon/dresser) down 2 flights, across a long walkway, then up two flights to my new place. A few people offered to help me move but most weren't really serious offers-I could tell.
I think it's for the best though. I've gotten boxes from work (10 so far) plus I have several here and I plan to pack up most of my kitchen/books & art stuff in living room. That way I'll know if I need more boxes and will be able to tell the movers more or less how many boxes I'll have. Also have to do some cleaning today so that it's not all left for next week.

I still haven't told my neighbors yet but I think I'll have to get it over with today. I've been sort of sneaking my boxes. Partly b/c it's easier to drop them off in the back near the rental office than to have to walk from wherever I have to park with them in tow. I've been putting it off for as long as possible. I have to tell my downstairs neighbor and I'm not really looking forward to that conversation. I just can't wait to move.

2 comments:

Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

I'm impressed that you even know your neighbors. I've never known my neighbors since I moved out of my parents' house.

Petra said...

Knowing one's neighbors is all it's cracked up to be - if I didn't know them I wouldn't feel obligated to tell them I was moving or explain where/why. I could just go. Which is another plus of moving.
I'm a pretty friendly person but my apt is my sanctuary or it used to be until I can't even get in the door without questions/having to explain my whereabouts. I wish I could just be rude and tell them it's none of their business but I find that hard to do.