Tuesday, November 15

Allergy Testing & other stuff

I went for allergy testing yesterday. It hurts a bit when they do it, cause they just pierce the skin with the initial test on the forearms and when they do the upper arms, they go under the skin and that really hurts. I drew a little diagram(on the left), they drew "+" marks on my arms and they applied tiny pointy things that pierced my skin on each "+" on my forearms first. Then when they measured each one that showed a reaction, they wiped my arms off with alcohol. It was quite something to see and feel. Then they did my upper arms, they started describing it to me, they put the needle under your skin, and bubble...At this point I asked them to stop telling me about it, I really didn't need the details.
And the results - I'm allergic to tree pollen (ash, birch, poplar, maple, oak, and a couple others I don't recall), grass pollen, ragweed, mold, and both kinds of dust mites. Tree pollens are present from mid-March until early June. The welts on my arms from oak, poplar and maple were huge. Grass pollens start in early May, peak in June. Ragweed pollen from mid-August to Sept. Mold present year-round and dust mites(eeewww) so gross, so disgusting, feasting on my bed. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them. I don't like to think of them on my bed but they're there. I'll spare you all the huge magnified pictures of dust mites on several of the handouts they gave me.

They suggested I get dust-mite proof zippered covers for mattress, box spring and all pillows. I have 2 of my pillows covered already but not anything else. Going to have to take care of that this weekend. They also suggested that I should keep my windows closed at home and in the car when driving, especially during spring, summer and early fall.

Basically, they think I should get immunotherapy = allergy shots often for a long time. The handout says that patients typically (that typically could mean anything) receive injections weekly for 6-9mths, progressing to bi-weekly, then every 4wks. Most people complete the series of allergy injections in 3-5yrs. I don't have a problem getting shots when I need to, as long as I look away from the needle or don't see it at all (in the case of dental injections), I'm fine. Still, I'm a bit apprehensive about getting shots so often. I'm worry about having permanent holes all over my arms. I have to check my insurance and make sure its covered before I make a decision about this. The doc gave me $40 worth of free samples, sounds like a lot but is only 2 medicines. Still is a big help. Got another appt with him in 2 wks.

Last night, I was very, very, sick, some kind of food poisoning I think, I will spare you all the details. I'll only say that it was awful and I'm trying not to think about it too much. Better today though.

I watch Smallville sometimes. I just love the whole Clark/Lana thing. Sometimes they just look at each other. Even with all the angst and things left unsaid between them, they have this bond. I know, I know, its just tv.
Sometimes I worry that I'll never find that someone, soulmate, whatever. I try to remain optimistic about this but somedays are harder than others.
Off to watch 'Commander in Chief".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Do you have rss feed I can tap into? #ball ionic air purifier#