Wednesday, November 9

Random Thoughts

Saw this weird ad on TV for some prescription cream that is "clinically proven to remove unwanted facial hair". For some reason, I found this kinda funny. Odd that they didn't have any before/after pictures. That would really be funny but probably not the quite the feeling they're going for.

My computer gave me the stupid blue screen again, so it must not be a simple memory thing b/c there's hardly anything on it now. It created an error report that said the error was probably due to problems(overheating) with one/more of the computer components like the RAM/syetem board/CPU/power supply. What all that really means to me is nothing. I have to call Dell. Jus tnot in the mood to be on the phone though. Really tired tonight.

I've done a good bit of cooking this week. Made chicken stir-fry with chow-mein noodles Sun, it was really good. Got 3 meals (lunch/dinner) out of it. On Mon, I cooked a dish from home, pelau, which is chicken/rice/pigeon peas/carrots all cooked together in one pot. Froze some of it in portions because I can only make it in big batches, like 5-7 servings. Made lamb stew tonight, smells wonderful but I've already eaten (pelau) so I don't really have room to have it. Maybe I'll have just a taste. I don't normally taste the food when I cook. Most times, it works out fine and the food is very good. Occasionally, it may be too salty or not salty enough. I always marinate meats before cooking (usu overnight) and sometimes use veggie/chicken cubes to make stock to add to it. And then I forget that the stock has salt in it and add more salt to the dish while its cooking. Then it comes out too salty but usu still edible.

Really craving ice cream tonight. And chocolate. Trying not to open the fridge - too much temptation. Life has lost all meaning. Well not really but it has lost some of its luster since I went on this elimination diet. Tried buying sweets like twizzlers/sour patch kids/gummies to eat instead of all the good stuff I can't have now. They don't measure up and I'm really noticing it today. Going to the allergist Mon. Once I get the test done, I'm hoping it'll give me a few quick answers for stuff I should avoid. I miss butter or margarine rather. Kind of broke the diet inadvertently last Fri, at the movies. My friend got popcorn and without thinking I just ate. Normally, I don't buy popcorn and only eat a few when my friends get it. But for some reason I ate most of it, it was a small bag though. Still, it was covered in butter. Didn't think about that until after I'd consumed most of it. Oh well. FYI - my stomach made grumbling sounds for several hrs after, didn't hurt though. Maybe butter affects me more than I realized. My stomach hasn't made sounds in ages. It normally only sounds like that when I eat pizza or milk or stuff that contains milk, even after chewing 4 lactiad/tums. Without lactaid/tums, eating pizza makes me really ill. My stomach still makes really loud noises but doesn't hurt as much as it would if I didn't take anything. If I make it myself at home and I use colby jack instead of the usu pizza cheeses, its not as bad. Probably one of the foods I should give up permanently.

'Mind of Mencia' = hilarious. He cracks me up. Getting into 'Gray's Anatomy' again. I like 'Bones' as well but never remember its on and usu only see the last 15-20min. I also like 'Commander in Chief'.

Bought myself an early christmas pressie...a digital camera, cute Canon a510. Came today. So excited. Pity, most of the trees here are now past their peak but its alright. Still so cool. Can't wait to get out and get some pics. Planning to make some paintings of them. Big plans.

Almost made it to work before 8am today, almost (got in at 810am, not too bad). Was walking out to my car in a light jacket and short sleeve tees underneath. Got halfway to it and thought that it must be about 35°, not short sleeve/light jacket weather. So started the car and after less than a min I was chilled. So I went back in for more layers and a hat. I guess its offically Nov now :( We've been having unseasonably warm weather for this time of year. It was bound to end at some point.

It took me 30 min to drive home tonight, twicw as long as usual, and it was raining heavily the entire time. Its hard to see the lane demarcations. I just stay in the far right lane, then I can at least follow the curb. My friends today were talking about that - how hard it to see the lines, and that they should have reflective paint or reflectors on the roads. One of them said that the reflectors would just be uprooted by the ploughs once it really snowed. I don't like driving in the rain, even with my wipers on the fastest setting, visibility still very poor. Those are the times when I wish my car had rear wipers. No disrepect to my "Baby"-love my corolla. Still, rear wipers would be nice.

Had to make corrections on the report, our boss put together all our sections of the report and found many errors. He wanted us to check and correct them today, he suggested that I start first sine most of the errors were mine - no shit Sherlock, at least half of the report is of my work. He made it easy though, cause he highlighted exactly what data we were missing or which was inconsistent and only wanted us to correct on the printed master copy ans he's going to enter it all in. I must confess that I'm not surprised that I had errors since I didn't exactly proof read it. I figured that I wouldn't catch most of the mistakes then anyway since I had been staring at all that data and those numbers for so long. Took me about 4hrs today. Hopefully, that's the end of it, for now anyway.

Need to get some sleep. Have a good novel and am going in early enough so I can read a bit and still get decent sleep hrs in. Nite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pelau sounds really good. Sounds like good comfort food. Make me some! :)

Petra said...

It totally is comfort food. My grandma used to make it and my Mom makes it as well. I'll mail you some :)