Friday, December 16

What I miss

People always ask what I miss from home? I usu say - my family then the food. At this time of year, I also miss the music. December is the time for Parang and also start of carnival season. Parang music is sung in Spanish, Spanglish and English. Hard to describe unless you've heard it before. Most traditional parang is about Jesus and his birth. I still remember and can sing a few Parang songs that we learned in elementary school (in Spanish) word-for-word. No idea what I'm singing though :). But kids are like that, you can teach them anything. I especially like the soca parang which is a more modern form and focuses more on local Christmas traditions and food. The music links here are worth listening to for a taste of what I'm talking about (may be a little difficult for non-trinis to understand).

I'm looking for a CD with all the old songs I remember from my childhood. I have a couple cassettes which are very well worn. Definitely time to upgrade.

No comments: