Tuesday, June 13

the oddest thing

Ordered chinese take-out and parked and was just about to walk in when there was this guy. This guy who was standing outside the door smoking. I don't usually pay much attention to smokers.

Anyhoo, I nodded as I was walking past him and then he said "hi". So I said "hi" back. Then he introduced himself. All very weird I know.

The real reason I was a little weirded out is that recently I've been thinking/asking/imploring the universe...how am I going to meet new people? where do I go? not at work, that's for sure? then I thought that I would just have to start talking to random people.

Still with me(all 3 of you :) so we chat a little then we both went inside b/c he'd also ordered chinese take-out. It was kind of cool in a way but weird. Strange men don't normally just introduce themselves to me as I walk by.
Stranger still - he asked to exchange email addys and gave me his phone num. He told me he's been living here ~6mths and that he's in grad school. We talked about how hard it is to meet people. He also told me that he's decided to just start talking to random people, hoping to meet new people that way. Bizarre, no?
Anyhoo, he asked if I wanted to go out sometime and maybe hang out. I guess it can't hurt. Well, as long as he doesn't know where I live and we meet in a public place. haven't completely lost my mind, yet :)

3 comments:

Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

Interesting. I might just try that guy's tactic. Although my fear of the crazy psychos that seem to lurk around most corners might be difficult to overcome.

It's a novel idea...actually speaking to strangers in a friendly manner.

Anonymous said...

Cool. Might as well see what happens. But the public place thing is a must.

Petra said...

SFC - I'm with on the fear of crazy psychos lurking everywhere.

Jen - definitely, there are several local coffee shops in my area so maybe I'll plan to meet him at one of them.