Thursday, January 26

Back to school

I'm going to take a graduate level chem class, my job is paying. They asked if I wanted to do it - along with 4 other people from our site who are BS or MS level chemists. Actually they strongly suggested that I take it. So I said yes (had to decide this on Tues - Tues being the day they suggested this. And they were so pleased I couldn't take it back. Can you believe it? the dang class starts Mon.

Since they're paying for it and will allow me the time to do it (mostly, my understanding is that I can leave earlier on the class days). It's supposed to be twice a week for 1 1/2 hr. We can take it for credit(towards eventual MS degree) or audit. They pay either way. I'm going to do it for credit cause I figure I may end up getting the MS degree and I won't work any less at it if I just audit it so I might as well. This has all happened so fast, I think I'm still in shock :) At least I already know 3 other people in the class.

I have been out of school for 3 1/2 yrs. I'm not worried about it though. I'll do my best. College was great for me, I was a very good student. Only thing is that I didn't ahve to work full-time while I was in college. I was lucky and even though I had campus jobs, I didn't work more than 20h a week. Junior and senior year, I probably worked no more than 12-15hrs/week. I had loans and help from my sis and just did without extra stuff.

I just hope he doesn't expect us to be writing anything remotely like a term paper. It's chemistry and theory based (no lab is required) so most likely he won't. I hated term papers then and I don't think 3-4 yrs has changed my mind about them. Hopefully, some of my work experience will help with the class. I'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Enjoy going back to school. Some day I want to start work on my master's. I have no idea when that someday will be, however.

Petra said...

Thanks Jennifer, I'm kind of excited about it now.