Sunday, January 8

Much Ado About Narnia

I enjoyed this movie. I didn't read the books as a kid but I do remember seeing an animated version of them.

My friend E went with me and she said she found the Christian references disturbing. Then she talked about how CS Lewis was friends with Tolkien and was inspired to write the Narnia series partly because of his Catholic/Christian influence. My take-so what? Personally, I don't get what all the hullabaloo is about. The only real Christian reference I see is that of resurrection. Which is not just a part of Christianity but is also part of most major religions. Rebirth, reincarnation, martyrs - all very interwoven into religion/spirituality everywhere. Reincarnation/rebirth of a pure soul or innocent.

Why not just enjoy the movie? Why pick it apart? Sometimes it just seems like people just need something new to talk about. Someone told another friend of mine that she was reluctant to watch the movie even though she enjoyed reading the books b/c of all the "Christian references". I mean, c'mon. Did Jerry Faldwell write it? doctor the screenplay? If you weren't offended by the books, just go see the movie if you're interested. If its not your kind of movie, fine. No problem. I just find it all a little silly.

My friend E also was trying to make a case saying that the 4 children represented apostles. I disagree. So I asked if Edmond was Judas - the only real connection I can make other than the name Peter and the death/rebirth. She said no, she didn't think that. So then what. He betrayed his siblings, didn't he?

I am disturbed by many things, namely, Neo-nazis, white supremists, people who orchestrate and execute terrorist acts among other things. There is true evil in this world. People who think that they are the "chosen" and the only people who should be on this earth. This disturbs me. These people who call themselves Christian and believe that only white people should exist. White meaning non-Jews, non-Hispanic. This is so ignorant-like they even really know what they are. Go back 4-5 generations and I bet many of them would be surprised that they do not qualify as "white" under their definitions of it. I am disturbed by serial killers and people who abuse children who end up back on the streets living among us. Waiting for the opportunity to commit their crimes again. I am disturbed by the violent quality of video games that are made for teens and bought by parents for their kids - games whose main objectives is to steal cars, kill prostitutes, etc. etc.

I'm not offended or disturbed by the Chronicles of Narnia.

No comments: