Wednesday, May 10

last day

Just watched Alias - in spite of all my complaining about how it's crap now - I'm still watching like a Pavlovian-conditioned dog. I'm a creature of habit and all that.

Last day of class. YES! So OMTW has so been avoiding me since our "chat" :) . He hasn't talked to me or even made eye contact since our "chat". He studiously avoided my eyes all today and yesterday when he came to our lab to use one of the analytical instruments. It was kind of funny...in a way. Actually it made me think that maybe I'd over-reacted a bit and maybe could have said what I needed to say differently
i.e. that I don't want to be used in his talk that way or
that maybe he should rethink showing the professor up during his presentation
But I'd rather be clear (even a little mean) and make my point crystal clear than have later misunderstandings with an audience.

So he gave his talk today and the guy who he told me he'd planned to ask - totally bailed on class today. I think it's just wrong the way most of the others in class just skipped everyone else's presentations once they'd given theirs. They had a good audience for theirs whereas some of us only had 4 or 5 people incl the professor.
All of a sudden, work is so overwhelming that you have to skip the last 5 or 6 classes, C'MON. Just bad form. Don't they realize that they don't have a grade yet? Don't they care? Obviously they don't.

His talk was good and interesting but he didn't have ans for most of the questions that his slides evoked. Only thing, I am a terrible person but I couldn't help but snicker(which I covered with a strategically timed cough) at ummm how he spelled references at the end. I quote "Fefereness". I kid you not. Don't they know about something called spell check? Don't they proof-read. Him especially b/c he had tons of time. I did talk to him at he end and told it was a good talk and also good that he didn't ask unnecessary questions. So I guess we're on speaking terms again. Not sure how i feel about that - if it's a good or bad thing.

A couple of the other guys who gave their presentations(2 of whom were absent today) also had glaring mistakes. For the chemists out there - they had structures with 5 bonds going to carbon on several slides. For the non-scientists - carbon never has more than 4 bonds, ever. Yeah, so big mistake, something they teach in high school chem and certainly college chemistry. Plus in the chemistry drawing software that they must have used to draw the structures, there are always very obvious red flags on such things. How they missed mistakes like that is beyond me.

I'm was a great student(ok a nerd :p) It's what I did really well so I just don't get it when people submit such shoddy work. I don't get how they don't care enough to proof-read or spell-check their work before submission. btw, our presentations will go on the course slides - with our names on it - for next year's class to peruse. If it was me, I certainly wouldn't want my name attached to their work.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, true, but still.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fefereness -- whoa!!!

Petra said...

Yeah. Funny b/c he looked at it and didn't even react, like he didn't notice.