Sunday, August 21

The Smell Of Death

Death has a smell. I know this first hand. It's similar to a smell you get from some elderly people. I started associating this smell with death when my grandfather died.

We moved to my grandparents house during the last few months of his life. My Mom took care of him as he was bed-ridden for the last 4 months. It was hard seeing him just there unable to move around. Before he got sick, he was always up and about. He was very handy around the house and was always fixing things. He was a welder by trade.

As his illness progressed and he got weaker, the smell got stronger and stronger. The night he died was the worst, I think our bodies must start rotting from the inside when we die especially when your you are sick for a long time before.

The smell changed just after he died. So now every time I smell that old person smell, it makes me think of death.