Wednesday, August 24

Word for the week...boredom

This week has been so boring for me at work. Mostly because I completed my assignments and wasn't given anything else until this 2pm this afternoon. We had video conf with external customers on Tues and so had to prep for that Mon. Plus our regular Wed meeting was this morning so had to make slides for that but I had everything done by noon yesterday. The meeting Tues which lasted 2 1/4 hours (I was dying during that last 1/2 hour - my eyes started crossing after the first hour of slides)...and I forgot my sweets(lately there're mentos) which I usu take to meetings to keep me awake. Came home early Tues b/c I had nothing to do and I'd had enough. Today was more of the same. So I cleaned my work areas, did all my back-up filing and twiddled my thumbs till our morning meeting at 10am. Then had lunch, then finally got some more work, not a lot yet but enough to keep me busy for a couple days.

Sometimes, I have so much to do, I can barely think and then there are other times when I'm bored out of my skull. Luckily this doesn't happen often. There's only so many times you can check cnn or bbc or amazon. Can't blog at work, they scan plus lots of creative firewalls by our wonderful IT dept. so I dare not even try.

In elementary and high school I remember being bored all the time which is why I usu got in trouble for "distracting others" or "talking too much in class" but that's another story.

Obviously I'm a little too efficient at work lately, but you never want them to know just how efficient you can be b/c then they would take advantage. Most days I could get my work done in 7hr but I let it drag to 9hr. We're expected to put in at least 9/day or more, most do 10-11h though. Somedays I can barely make to 9. Depends on your group suervisor. Finally I have decent supervisors (lots of middle management) who usu leave by 5p. I was in a group earlier this year where my immediaate supervisor didn't leave until 7/8pm most days. How do you top that? She obviously had no life despite being married. I'm single and I sure as hell don't want to spend half of each day at work. But to each his own I guess.

That's my rant for the day. At least tomorrow's Thurs.

No comments: