Sunday, April 30

sheep farm

Went to breakfast with the gang Sat morning. I ended up going to the sheepfarm after all. I'd planned to bail after breakfast but they convinced me to go. So I went.

I had fun even though I didn't think I would. Even went on a scenic hay-ride...sat on bales of hay while being pulled along by a tractor. The tractor's wheels were huge - taller than my friend C who's 6'3(I asked and he humored me by going to stand next to the wheels for comparison :). I was very impressed. Cause I could say the wheels were bigger than me but at ~5', most people are taller than me. But saying that they're bigger than C, now that's pretty tall. I've always had a thing for tractors though I'm not quite sure why. I remember having a really cool yellow one as a kid. We also saw the sheep being sheered(sp?). The smell was pungent but after being in the sheering shed for a few minutes, you get used to it. Either that or the smell receptors in our noses must shut down after too much stimulation. The sheep kick and try to escape until they turn them over on their backs, then they just lie there with their legs every which way until the sheering's done. then when they've been turned back over on their legs, they were suddenly energized again and tried to make a run for it. Very funny.

We also saw lambs, some really tiny cute ones and some older ones. So cute you almost want to touch them. Well, my friends did pet them but I was just fine with watching them. Some were curious and came towrds us in their pens, others were napping. Napping lambs = adorable.

We also watched sheepdog trials - border collies had to get a small group of sheep to go through gates, into a pen, etc. Just like in the movie "Babe". Some of the sheep were very stubborn and seemed to be mocking the poor dogs. I kinda wanted to shout "that'll do pig, that'll do" just for fun. None of the dogs were able to get the sheep to perform as well as Babe did though :)

Today I was telling my Mum and sis about it. When I said that we went to a sheepfarm, they asked why? When you live near smalls towns like I do, why not right? Plus it is was free and it was farm day :)

I also tried some sheep cheese which was ok, almost good, once I got over the whole it being from sheep not cows. I would have bought some but it was too expensive - $8 for a small cream-cheese sized tub. If they had a smaller size for say $3-4 I'd have bought some. My friends bought ~$50 worth of sheep cheese, yogurt, etc.

When we got back, I smelled like animals. Seriously. My friends laughed at me when I told them this but it was true. I immediately showered/washed my hair as soon as I got home.

Then I went out jean shopping. Got a couple pairs so that should tide me over for a while. The older ones I have are mostly too big or too worn.

Then out to dinner and then over for party games and cake at MD. Lots of fun. Good cake.

No comments: