Friday, October 28

Apparently...I look like 12

Went bowling tonight. Great fun. Didn't come first in any of the four games we played but I did come 2nd twice (there were 3 of us playing).

I went to get a beer and forgot my ID, as soon as I ordered, the waitress asked for it though, so I had to walk back over to my bag to get it. The waitress took off her glasses (farsighted I guess) and moved my ID closer to her...then further away...then up close one more time. Then she said, wow, you could have fooled me. I do look younger than I am. I think I look like a college student now - agewise anyway but still young enough to get carded.

There was this kid (she looked about 10 or 12) in the lane next to us playing on her own. She and I chatted a little between frames. Eventually she asked, is she your Mom? - meaning my friend who's 2 yrs older than me. I was like, ummm, no, we're actually very close in age. A little later, both my friends had wondered off looking for the perfect bowling ball and she asked, is he your Dad? - meaning my other friend who's 3 yrs younger than me. I laughed then of course and told her that I was much older than I looked and was actually close in age to both my friends. She pondered this for a minute, then asked - how old are you? I said, 30. She goes - NO way, you look like you're 12. This really made me laugh.

Despite the fact that neither of my friends look anything like me and also not including the fact that all 3 of us have very different ancestries, neither of them look old enough to be my parent. I know I look young but not that young. I wonder whether she thought I was 12 because she was trying to categorize me. She and I were able to just chat so maybe she figured that I couldn't be an adult. Maybe she wondered why I'd be with them if I wasn't related to either of them. It was a little strange. This kid must not get out much at all.

I haven't had anyone think I looked 12 for at least 10 years. In high school, I got teased a lot about how young I looked. I was tiny, both in height and size. I didn't start wearing adult-sized shoes until I was 16. I caught up eventually, shoe-wise anyway b/c now I wear size 8 1/2 - 9.
In my early 20s, people thought I was still in my teens. I thought that now, I should at least be able to pass for 20something. But apparently I look somewhere between 12 and 21. Go figure.

Probably going to work tomorrow for a few hrs. Still have much to do on my report. I've finished analysing the physical data (thanks in part to a friend at work). I really need to get her something nice b/c she didn't once act bothered with my picking her brain for most of today and yesterday. Not even after what probably seemed like my 100th question on the analysis. I'm so grateful to her. So at least it's all down on paper. So now I have to get it on computer. Started inputting the data around 4pm. By 6pm, I got through 3 pages. Still have 8 more to go. Each page has 4-5 different sets of data for the compounds I made. I have to go in to have a chance at completing this by Mon. I will need to read it all when I'm finished and double-check tha data to make sure the correct data matches the right compound. Some of the analysis was hard because I didn't get very good data on my intermediates. Only final compounds are required to have extremely high purity so I let quite a few of them slide by with really crappy data. Crappy data that was very difficult to interpret and match up with what they were supposed to represent. From now on, I'm going to take greater care and make sure I get good data even for intermediates.

Forgot to turn my alarm on last night. Slept till 830am. Very bad. Got to work at 9am. Not good at all. Luckily my boss was off today. Also good that no one else came looking for me today. Really good that my desk is not in the same area as the other guys in my lab. Haven't been in lab since Tues and only went in for a minute to get some data from my bench. Never thought I'd say this but I miss being in the lab. So tired of this paperwork, but it has to be done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

12? Holy cow!! Guess you won't avoid being carded anytime soon. On the bright side, you may be grateful for looking 18 years young when you're into your 50s and 60s.

Petra said...

I don't mind being carded now at all, I usu go - of course you can see my ID :) Yeah and my guy friend didn't help matters b/c he told the kid that I was actually 14.