Thursday, October 6

Rainy weekend but I don't mind

10 bonus points if you know where this is from "the London fog...the London fog...its thick...its damp...its...its gone!". I been thinking of that a lot because lately there's been some crazy fog in the mornings on my drive to work, visibilty reduced to 50ft or less. Good thing I could drive it in my sleep. Its kind of cool though. I kinda like it.

Supposed to be rainy all weekend. Planning to do some painting. Got new paints today at 40% off. I have a plan for a series of three for my kitchen, at least a main idea of how I want them to flow from one to the other. Will probably post them to my flickr account when they're done. Of course that could be anywhere from Sun to 6 mths from now. I'm big on starting things but not so great on finishing. I get bored easily and often lose interest in stuff half-way through. My apt is littered with unfinished projects -
  • like when I was going to make seat covers for my dining chairs (lofty title for the old metal ones I've got) but only got so far as buying the material and a mini-sewing machine and I even made one but my measurements were too snug and the material didn't have enough give to it to accomodate for this...and that's as far as I got
  • or when I bought new inks, calligraphy text to compliment the calligraphy set I had from college because I was going to make all the cards I needed and planned to do this in advance - yeah right. Don't know what I was thinking considering that I'm such a spur-of-the-moment person/procrastinator =)
  • or when I thought it'd be fun to take up needlepoint and bought yarn and needles, etc...well I opened everything and left it out for weeks before putting everything away...in my to-be-done-someday-when-I'm-in-the-mood box (I have several of these boxes)

I do manage to use the paints and sketch books and such for painting and drawing from time to time. Though not as often as I could. So my new plan is to make Sat morning my creative time. So armed with my paint supplies and rainy forecast, I plan to be very creative this weekend.

So I call the doctor and they have a nurse call me back - they probably have a big red note next to my file to field all calls through the nurses. Anyhoo, I finally talk to the nurse and explain that I still need to take my emergency inhaler several times a day even though most of the cold symptoms are gone. I'm still coughing and still very congested.

So they're going to increase the dosage of the daily maintainer meds that I'm taking to the highest one they have. I was on the lowest one before my cold then they put me on the medium one for the past 2 wks. Now I'm going to have to take the max dosage they have.

I 've read probably more than I should have done on my meds. Cross-referensing studies that have been done recently and in the last 5 yrs or so. I have some concerns about taking the increased dosage. But what else can I do but take it? I just hope it works this time and I can finally get some decent sleep. Some of my reading makes me think that some of my nausea might be caused by the asthma meds I've been taking. I take them as prescribed and always rinse my mouth after each dose (that's so only a minimal amt of the corticosteroids will enter the bloodstream via the mouth, side effects are mild as long as the majority of it goes into the lungs but increase significantly if they end up in the bloodstream). But who knows. I know that Advair has lactoce in it which could be a problem for my lactose intolerant stomach but I always rinse so I don't know.

Had a suggestion to try a veggie diet which is great and all for some but I don't think that becoming a vegetarian will cure or relieve or give me better control of my asthma. Plus with being sick, I've not had nearly as much meat as I normally would. Maybe that's my problem. My diet usu consists of lamb (2x)/chicken 4-5 times a week. I don't eat out often and when I do I order chicken more often than not. Lately I haven't felt like red meat much. Last weekend I had the first real meat (wings Fri and ribs Sat) I've had in over 2 wks other than the 3 pieces they put in canned chicken soup (slight exaggeration =)

They had a 2-day seminar at my company and our client flew in to give a talk at the meeting. So of course I wanted to go ;). A lot of it went over my head but it was interesting. I must confess that my friend and I wrote notes to each other during most of it. 2hrs of chemistry lectures/questions....and I forgot my mentos which I usu take to seminars (to keep me awake)...takes a lot out of you (b/c I couldn't leave right after, had to be polite and stay for the following speaker). Luckily, they broke for lunch right after the 2nd speaker.

Fun facts to note

  • the 2nd speaker used the modifier "uhh" 26 times in 5 minutes. I also counted other words - a fun game when you are bored. Another fav was "residue(s)" , 12 times/5 min.
  • hyperemia = bad

My friend and I kept assigning either good/bad ratings to words we didn't know the exact meanings of, based on context. I so wanted to leave early today but have major report due next Fri and had to at least start it today (I have like 20 pgs to write...aagggghhh!) . When I'd had enough of that, I wrote up the reaction I was going to do (and leave overnight) but decided I wouldn't set it up until tomorrow. Just wasn't in the mood, you know. But when I got back to lab, my boss was still there and I guess I felt kind of guilty so I started cleaning up my bench a bit, still in 2 minds about whether I was going to do the reaction today or not. Good thing, I was there in my lab coat, looking productive. Guess who popped in with our group leader on a tour of our facility? Our client and so he made the introductions. So glad that...I was still there...looking productive. So I did set up the reaction after all. my boss left me around 5 and told me not to work too hard as it was nearing 530 and that I should go home soon. How cool is that? So different from my previous supervisors. Thank you God, universe, karma. I appreciate it. I really do.

No comments: