Saturday, October 1

Back in the saddle

Went out last night to sports bar/dive/karaoke palace. My friend suggested we go along with a group of her friends who were going to watch the Yankee/Red Sox game. It wasn't until after we got there that we realized that they also have karaoke. It was supposed to start at 8 but luckily they didn't start until after the game was over. We lost :( unfortunately but Cleveland lost too finally-13 innings. So things are still even all round.

I don't think I've mentioned this before but I'm a major fan of karaoke, both performing and watching. There's just something cool about having a mike in front of people I don't know, they have no choice, they have to listen. This started in junior yr of college on a drunken dare :) it was so much fun, I've been a fan ever since. I also like watching other people.

I have a blast doing karaoke and it's not unusal for several people to come up to me during the night and give compliments and ask what song I'm doing next. Once I even gained 4 back-up dancers who loved the song I'd done previously and come up onstage during my next to back me up. It was pretty cool, I was pretty drunk. I used to go quite often to another karaoke bar and knew all 3 DJs by name. Sad but true.

Usually when my friends and I go out, not many of them go up to do a song but as long as I know they're there, that's enough and I usu do a few. Usually, I need to have a good buzz going before I do a song I haven't done before b/c you don't always know how it's going to come out. I generally only do songs I know well. This is key. If you know the song then you'll get the timing of it and then its all downhill from there. Sometimes though, I try to do a song and after it starts, I realize that it's just not the right pitch and I can't quite make the notes. I usu stick with 90s pop/rock but also do some punk as well.

I hadn't planned on singing at all last night for a couple reasons. For one thing, my voice is still hoarse and secondly I didn't want to have any alcohol b/c of the cold meds I've been taking so I stuck with iced tea all night. They started off playing "Are you Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet. I love that song and it always gets me pumped up. So I decided to do one song. Luckily I didn't have to go right after the karaoke pros. I did an old fav which I've done several times before, Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name". Even did a little air guitar. I usu do a little something extra besides just singing whether it be a few dance moves/air guitar/head banging(you'd have to see it ;)/twirls. Depends on the song/my mood/degree of inebriation :) It was fun, haven't done karaoke in a long time and kind of missed it.

Last night, they were so many people with really great voices. Voices that said - give me a record deal already! One of the pros did a particular fav of mine, Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself For Loving You". She did an amazing job. I couldn't have done it better which is saying something b/c I'm pretty good even if I do say so myself :) I had thought about doing it but I need a buzz and/or motivation (usu Lit) to work up the rage to do it well. You've got to have major attitude for it or any Joan Jett for that matter.

Kodak moments from last night:
  • "The Wheels On The Bus" by Al. yes the ones that go round and round. Suprisingly, the DJ said it had only been requested once before :) In a word, hilarious.
  • "Drop It Like It's Hot" by K. She knew all the words too. She was really good.
  • My friend also went up and did a group song, first time karaokeing(don't know if that's a word or not)
  • "Minnie the Moocher"(hi dee hi dee hi dee hi, ho dee ho dee ho dee ho), this was close to the oringinal, almost as good as Cab Calloway, the lady had some pipes.
  • "I Hate Myself For Loving You", the real 'star' of the night

Overall, really cool night.

No comments: