Sunday, October 9

Self Images

I often feel taller than I am. Most people that I think are shorter than me are more often than not a little taller. I often see people driving who are short and so you can't see their head above the neck-rest and I often wondered how well they could see the road. And I imagined that they are probably like many of those old ladies you see driving who have to be looking at the road through the steering wheel b/c they are so low down on their seats.

Well, today I realized that I am one of those people who's head is lower than the neck rest so drivers behind me can't see my head either. I was looking in the rearview mirror and noticed this for the first time. This was a bit of a shock for me. I like to think of myself as very observant but in reality I'm not.
At least I can see over my steering wheel (my driver's seat is adjustable).

I think I must have a very positive self image most of the time. Maybe that's why I seem larger than life. At least to myself, if not to anyone else :) Granted I'm not in the best shape, have extra bits around the middle that have been there so long I refer to them as 'friends'. I was thinking that maybe if I started thinking of them as enemies, they'd be more inclined to go away...spontaneously...without any extra effort on my part. I'm a dreamer, I know.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I wouldn't advise thinking about your body as an enemy... that could backfire!

Petra said...

not my body as a whole, just the fatty bits. I know you're right though b/c its easy to get in the habit of thinking of yourself negatively and no good can come from that