Sunday, September 25

Alive not quite kicking

I rewatched the movie "Where the Heart Is" and everytime I see it, I get choked up. Especially the last scene where the character Novalee tells Forney that she lied when she said she didn't love him because she thought he deserved something better. And then he says "better than you? There's nothing better than you Novalee" Gets me everytime I see it. I want a guy to feel that way about me. Someday.

Feeling a bit better today. So tired of this stupid cold and I imagine that most people are probably tired of reading about it as well. But when you come here you get what's on my mind. No more, no less :)

My friend came to visit me today. Why she wanted to risk being around my semi-contagious self I don't know? But I'm really glad she came. I hadn't really talked to anyone in person (besides my doc on Sat) since Thurs. We played cards for a while and chatted. I was really glad for the company. And she even brought in some groceries I'd left in my car. How cool is that?They were too heavy for me to bring in myself in one go and hadn't been able to get the enegy to go out and get them yet.

Finally, today I was able to avoid accepting the bowl of jello that my downstairs neighbor tried to foist off on me. For one thing, I hate jello. I liked it as a kid but not now, the texture makes me want to hurl, I can't bear it. Anyway, anytime my neighbor, who's like 82 btw, hears me moving around and she assumes/knows I'm sick, she brings me jello. God alone knows why. The first time, I tried to explain that I don't like or eat jello, but she's a bit hard of hearing and it seemed like it'd take less energy to just take it than to try to explain it to her 3 times. And I tasted it, was grossed out, and threw out the rest. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th times, I just took it and dumped it.

But today, I don't know, I just thought if there's one time I shouldn't have to take disgusting jello is when I'm sick and I didn't accept it and stood there in my doorway with my hands behind my back shaking my head "no" until she created a reason herself and took the damn thing away. I think she said something like "oh will it hurt your throat, ok, ok, but if you need anything..." Maybe I overreacted a little but I'm so hoarse, I just couldn't face having to explain it to her in a loud voice(so she could hear) 3 or 4 times. Just couldn't do it. I may expand more on said neighbor eventually.

Just woke up from a little nap. Talked to family today, well mostly they talked. My sis also has a bad cold and sounded a lot like I did on the phone. Not as long as usual, I was kind of tired afterwards.

I'm hoping to be able to get a good 6 or 7hrs sleep tonight. Having to take my inhaler every 4hrs has been harrowing because when I get up at 2 or 3am to take it, it's hard to get right back to sleep. Maybe it'll be better tonight. Not planning to go to work tomorrow. Think I need at least another day. Depends on how I feel in the morning. Plus it's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. My stomach is still upset but it eases a little after I eat. Maybe I lost some weight with this whole being sick thing. Frankly, I would rather have the weight than this stupid cold.

Off to play text twist.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting column you've got going here. Awful to still be sick. Maybe accepting Jello from said neighbor will summon lots of good karma. Your friend who visited while you were sick sounds like a saint :) Or not. Probably just enjoys your company and wanted to be certain you were OK and on the path to good health.

Incidently, caught Alien on TV late Sun. night. Got sucked in to the 2nd half. But it was a cliffhanger. She dismantles a nuclear weapon under the Pyramids and is "holding the core" in her hand when a man puts a gun to her head. Then credits. At least I know she lives for another season. Be well! Good luck at work tomorrow. Remember, the first day back after any extended absence is the hardest. So if that's down, you're ahead.

Petra said...

Thanks Suz. I figure I've got the karma thing down with said neighbor with weekly rides. Feel better than yesterday except for major headache but motrin has really helped. Back to work for me tomorrow.

Petra said...

Oh yeah, said friend is certainly a saint - you may know her :)

karla said...

Oh my God, that's so cute that your neighbor hustles over there with jello when you're sick. What a cutie. But then again, neighbors who are overly friendly annoy me even when I know I'm supposed to appreciate them, so maybe it's not so cute.

But for me, sitting all these miles away in Texas--cute.

Petra said...

Hi Karla-usu I can deal with it but with how I've been feeling lately, I just want to be left in peace...get stressed out at the thought of having to deal and the stress is the last thing I need when my asthma is acting up.