Sunday, September 11

The quarterback (small mention of the sidekick)

Still no word from Can't-use-the-phone-after-the-first-date-even-though-it's-been-more-than-a-week. But i'm not bitter. I guess I was sort of expecting this. Forgive me for all the hyphens, there's more to come.

It's the story of my life. Even after having more than one date, guys just don't get me. Or maybe they do. Kind of a scary thought. They seem really keen and then nothing. As if I were a cool tv show that suddenly jumped the shark and so wasn't worth watching anymore. Does that make any sense? I probably shouldn't write him off yet. He could be busy. I wish I hadn't told anyone I know about him b/c now I feel kind of foolish.

I wasn't planning to write about him. But maybe some background is necessary. I met him at this alumni thing back in June. Let's call him 'the quarterback' or QB. He seemed very interested in me right off the bat. He just seemed so perfect. I couldn't figure out why he was talking to me almost exclusively. I'm not usually so insecure. I'm usually the life of the party. I'm very outgoing and can strike up conversations with stangers very easily. People are usually drawn to me, don't know why that is exactly...having a long conversation with someone I've just met is not at all unsual for me. But him, I must confess that he made me a bit nervous.

Easy on the eyes and built well. I'm a sucker for a well-built man. Nice height ratio to me. Not too tall or too short. Smart and witty as well.

He invited me to go for drinks afterwards (a very clever way of asking for my number I might add) and I went. Had a great time. There were about 10 of us from the alumni thingy at the bar and a few of his friends were a little rowdy but very entertaining. It was like being in college again.

I only had 1 drink that night b/c I was driving and I'm very strict with myself when I am. Plus I didn't want to be too uninhibited (I tend to be a very happy, chatty drunk).
I gave him and 2 of his friends a ride home that night. They all live together about 10min away from me coincidentally and I only live about 10min away from the bar. After his friends got out, that's when he said he was interested. But at the time, I was sort of interested but not-quite-dating this other guy(who turned out to be a complete asshole and I'll refer to him only as 'the sidekick, but that's another blog). I kind of mentioned this other guy. Anyway, QB told me he was going on holiday for a couple weeks. He also said he'd like to take me out when he got back and promised to call. He said I could always refuse to go out if I didn't want to if I was actually seeing this other guy.

He must have meant an American "couple" of weeks. I say this because in college guys I know would often say they'd only had a couple beers after having 6 or 7.

2 Weeks go by: no call.

3rd week: I find out that the sidekick is a total ass and certainly not worth any of the time I spent thinking about him or with him. In an angry haze, I erased the sidekick from my phone and mind. I also erase the QB's number within a minute of that.

4th week: the QB finally calls, at first I didn't know if it was him (no name on the handy-dandy caller ID). He seemed a little miffed that I didn't recognise his voice. I was fairly sure it was him but I don't like guessing who's on the phone. So I asked -who is this? I always identify myself when I call, even to my close friends and family.

So he asked me out vaguely. I say vaguely b/c he said he'd call sometime later in the week to make plans for us to go out.

So 2 weeks go buy and no word from the QB. So now I'm a little miffed myself but decide to just let it go. Maybe he just wasn't as interested as he said. Fine, I could deal with that.

2 more weeks go by and I get this message on my phone from the QB. A very funny message. One which I saved but have not played for my girlfriends (great self-control on my part :)
The message was great, good enough that I thought I'd just forget that he waited so long to call. In the message, he said that he was distressed that I hadn't called him (forget the fact that he was supposed to call me and I don't chase guys...well...anymore :) So I returned his call and left him a message and he actually called back within the hour. Promised to call in 2 days and did. Made plans for a date. We went out. Had a great time, I thought.

So that's where I'm at. I hate feelling like a fool. That's how I feel. And I hate it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guys -- what more need I say? In all seriousness, I admire you muchly for doing the dating thing, period. Some of us -- OK, I specifically mean me -- are terrified of getting to know people on a deeper level for fear of being rejected. So we stay home alone every night with our pets and our iBook. :)

Petra said...

I too am afraid of rejection but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.