Tuesday, September 6

Stuck in my head

Several songs were stuck in my head today and once that happens, the only way to get it out of my head is to start singing out loud...

...my job - 9am

Me (singing softly to myself): ...why does the sun go on shining, why is the sky sooo blue, don't they know it's the end of the world, it ended when I...

My boss: wah wah... end of the world (this is what I heard)

Me: Sorry, what did you say?

My boss: are you singing "the end of the world"?

Me: umm, no, maybe, oh yeah right, "the end of the world", that's what it's called. (Clears throat) Yeah, it was in my head.

Yeah so not only does my boss hear me singing, but I'm singing the wrong words, and didn't even know the name of it. It's not that big of a deal though. A few of the other guys in our section sing out loud all the time. But I usually keep my tunes to myself. So it was a little embarrassing for me. But it sure went out of my head super fast after that. My boss looked at me a little funny like he wanted to ask if I was doing ok. However, he has looked at me like that before :) so I guess it doesn't really matter.

What's weird about that song being stuck in my head is that I don't have it on CD or anything. On the way to work today, I was listening to the Carpenters "Only yesterday when I was sad and I was lonely..." which is very upbeat for a Carpenter song. I don't know where "the end of the world" came from. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I woke up late (at 7:30) as I didn't turn my alarm on last night. I still left my apt at 8am which is more than enough time to get there by 8:15ish depending on traffic. Usually it is. And if I'd remembered where I parked my car, that would have been nice. As it was I just pulled into the lot at 8:35.

For some reason that escapes me, I forget where my car is parked and often walk in the opposite direction of where it is, look around, then realize my mistake. Maybe its b/c we don't have assigned spots, and my neighbors always get in before me so I don't get to park in the same place consistently. Either that or I'm suffereing from pre-senile dementia. At 30. Unlikely, I hope.

So if ever a song is stuck in your head, just sing it loud enough for your boss to hear, that's sure to help you get it out of your head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to sing that "I'm just mad about saffron" song almost constantly when it came out in that Gap commercial five years ago (or was it Old Navy?). I would drive people CRAZY!!! But I loved that song, just loved it.

Petra said...

I'm not sure what song that is, I'd probably recognize it if I heard it though :)