Saturday, September 3

Katrina

I've tried to avoid writing about it. But it is on my mind and one of the reasons that I started this blog was to get my thoughts out. To express myself. So here goes...

It is so awful. The devastation in Louisiana. I try not to dwell on it too much. I try not to watch too many of the images that play over and over on the tv. Still, I think about all the people for whom this stuff isn't news but is their reality. They can't just distract themselves with tv, books, or games like I've been trying to do. Their main concern right now is survival in horrible conditions I can only imagine and hope never to be in.

I have to distract myself, because when I dwell on it, I just feel like crying. But that won't help them. So I'm going to donate to the red cross through my job b/c they have set it up to match whatever we donate by 100%. I can't afford to give much but at least this way it'll be double.

I've read other people thoughts on their blogs. Some have said things I don't understand, for example - why didn't those people just leave?
Here's my take - they couldn't afford to leave / no cars / not enough money to move themselves and their families to a hotel for an unlimited amount of time /no family to go to elsewhere.

I'm ashamed because so many of my problems seem trivial compared to what so many have to face now - those that survive. I'm also ashamed of the powers that be that did not make preparations so that most of the people(without the means to do so) could evacuate before the hurricane hit. I'm also ashamed that they didn't make the repairs to the levees while they had the chance to do so.

Here's a link that helped me a little (don't click if you don't enjoy sarcasm). Basically, what I got from it was that I should stop thinking about how I feel and take action. Donate, spread the word. So that's what I've done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Petra, I wanted to thank you (belatedly, I admit) for your helpful and encouraging post last Friday ... your game suggestion was really good, and I went out and downloaded a fun hangman game. A lot of those Yahoo ones don't like Macs, darn them! :) And a good way to absorb myself is to read utterly fluffy, romantic Harry Potter fanfiction (yes, I am a complete nerd).

And I think that's good of you to tell your sister about your blog -- I continue to blog in silence, though. I don't know if I trust anyone enough "in real life" to read my blog.

Take care of yourself.

Petra said...

I'm glad my suggestion helped. I haven't read any Harry Potter fanfiction but I used to read x-file fanfiction all the time while the show was on. I still read it occasionally.
Wait till you're ready if you don't feel comfortable sharing your blog. I didn't feel comfortable telling anyone until this past week. Still a little scared that I've shared it but mostly I'm glad I did.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

I read tons of X-File fanfiction myself!!! I was a huge X-Phile back in the day. Do you have any favorite authors? What did you think about making Leyla Harrison an actual character!!

Petra said...

Ok so I must confess that I only vaguely remember some of the fanfic I've read, don't recall the authors. Leyla was the fanfic writer who had cancer that they featured in an ep with Doggett and Reyes and in it she was gushing about Mulder and Scully all the time. When I saw that ep at the time I didn't know much about the real Leyla other than she was based on a real person. That was one of the few eps I liked in S8.
If you like you can email me at rambaldifiles@yahoo.com and we can reminisce about the good ole days of the x-files.