Wednesday, September 28

Weird moments and pet peaves

Had a weird moment today with one of my former supervisors. I went to my desk/cubicle in the writing area to take my inhaler at 3p (it was time). She was at my computer (technically it's a general pc but as I'm the only one in this particular section of cubicles now, so its as good as mine :) She wasn't using my chair which is good cause I don't mind if other ppl use the computer as long as they use the extra chair, not mine. Usu ppl change the height when they use my chair and I really don't like that at all.

Anyway, I said hi to her and was about to sit down to get my inhaler out of my bag. At this point, she starts pleading...oh sorry to be using your computer but mine crashed downstairs and I have to finish this report, so sorry, I won't be much longer, probably only 30min or so but I have to get this done blah blah...She just kept going on and on, barely gave me time to answer. I was like - no problem, I don't need to use it right now, it's ok, its fine, really...

I was only there to take my inhaler anyway. Generally, I spend about 90% of the day in the lab unless I have reports due. So it really wasn't a problem. I just wanted to be able to take my inhaler asap.

It was just kind of weird. The pleading/begging. This is the same woman who often spoke to me in the most condescending manner whenever she had to explain something to me. When I worked under her I often felt inadequate even though I was working 50+ hrs a week and shipped almost the same amt of compounds as she did and we were working on similar targets. So I couldn't have been as bad as she always seemed to be implying. She's a sly one, always wanted to give the impression of being my friend. In my opinion, you can't really be friends with your supervisor because then they can't give an objective review of your work. Having a good working relationship is key but there is a line, you know. She often crossed this line. So I don't trust her much.

I talk to her when I see her now but she can be very annoying. In fact, I have been known to refer to her as the-most-annoying-person-I've-ever-met on my not-so-good days. On good days she's just in the top ten :) You know how much I love lists.

I don't hold grudges per se. I don't dwell specifically on real or imagined wrongs which I've felt from people but I also don't forget. So I'll talk to them sure, maybe even make a joke here and there but the fact remains that they are not my friend - this is always in my mind - there is a line. I keep them at a certain distance.

Sometimes I want to say it like Ludacris does in "Get Back":

Why you all in my ear? Talkin' a whole bunch a shit that I ain't tryin to hear.
Get Back! @#$%! You don't know me like that. Get Back! @#$%! You don't know me like that.

Actaully, I prefer the version where they bleeep out the cursing. I don't swear often. And usually I never use the word in that rap but sometimes ppl do drive you nuts.

As for swearing, I never used to at all when I was growing up, it just felt weird back then...but now I do, not terribly most of the time. I probably say "crap" and if angry "shit" more than anything else.

Except when I'm in the car and have to deal with the morons masquerading as drivers/pedestrians on the road. Like today, I have my right indicator on (or turn signal as they say here) and am first at a red light. Light goes green, half-way through my turn, this idiot pedestrian on the RHS decides to cross in front of my turning car instead of waiting for my car to go by in like 5secs. I mean, couldn't he wait and then cross after?

It's a good thing that I always look out and brake for rabbits, pets and stupid-people else he'd have been in trouble if I wasn't paying attention. The last thing I need right now or ever is to hit someone. It at times like those when my latest really bad curse comes out, rhymes with pucker. Only feel the need to use it when I'm driving though.

My other pet peave is people who drive just slow enough so that they get though just before the light changes to red leaving me to wait. I hate that. There's so much time for us all to go. I don't know what these drivers are thinking/doing that they can't at least drive at the speed limit.

Personally, I like to drive a little fast - I do try to stay within 5-10 mph of the posted limit though. If they're at least going at the speed limit, I cool my heels, it's fine. Here it's like 30 mph in most places and that's when many drive 50mph but on the shorter highways where it ranges from 45-55mph, they're going 35-40mph, drives me insane. I usually just change lanes as long as its safe to do so. Then when the posted limit changes back to 30mph, suddenly they know how to use the gas pedal and they start going 50mph and act like they want to run me over for going 35-40mph. I usu just say out loud - go ahead moron, drive over me. Not loud enough for them to hear, of course, but it makes me feel better.

Got to get to bed, major headache now.Off to take some of that super-duper motrin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could go on and on about terrible drivers ... I know personally, I am a very aggressive driver who tends to speed a lot. I have no tolerance for stupid people behind the wheel.

But more importantly tonight: WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT VAUGHN ON ALIAS????!!!

Petra said...

I wasn't sure about how I'd feel cause I've been reading spoilers so I kind of expected some of it. I'm a bit sad about it but still interested in watching the show. I wasn't outraged last season at the cliffhanger but I think they handled it well.

Anonymous said...

No worries on the weird moments. Prob you're stressed. Get satisfaction elsewhere :):):):):):)