Tuesday, February 14

Dr. Know

My new fav show is "Dr. Know" on Discovery Health. Tonight's show was testing the myth of the five-second rule. Apparently food dropped on a well-trafficked sidewalk picks up less e.coli bacteria than food that falls on your carpet or in your kitchen. I don't follow the 5-sec rule. when I was a kid, yeah, sure I did. But now I wouldn't even think of it. And after seeing this ep, I'm really glad that I don't anymore.

I like this show better than "The Mythbusters". Those guys always seem to be testing the most obscure myths, most I've never heard of. With "Dr. Know", he tests stuff you know about and have wondered about. Like tonight was 'men are better drivers than women' and then 'are women better at making observsations'. The way he tested this was kinda cool. He had an obstacle course and at the end they had to stop as close as possible to these cones without hitting them. In case you are wondering - No, men are not better drivers than women; Women are better at making observations.

Another thing he tested was 'dog's mouths are cleaner than humans'. They found that there was bacteria in both but much more in the dog's mouth and different kinds in dogs that weren't in humans. This vet they interviewed said he never lets dogs lick him if he can help it. He also said he wouldn't let a human lick him either :)
The next myth was 'Dog's saliva could be used as antiseptic'. They tested both and both human and dog saliva have antiseptic properties but not enough to kill all the bacteria present.
At the party on Sat, they have a dog there and several of them were letting her lick them all over their face. as I've said before, I don't licking. So I had to keep getting up off the chair cause she's a small dog (cute) and kept crawling over all of us and licking everyone she was on. So of course, I wanted to far away from that.

Had another appt with my psychologist today. She asked what I thought of the 1st session we had. I told her that it left me wondering if I was crazy or not. She said, "OH you're not crazy, far from it. you just need help dealing with some of your anxiety." That's sort of the conclusion I'd come to myself but it was great hearing her say it. I told her about my blog. I wasn't sure what she'd think about it. But she thought it was good, a positive thing. The time just flew by. She thinks I'm making good progress though. I feel much better about the whole therapy thing. Less ambivalent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom is totally grossed out when her dog or my dog gives me "kisses," so I'm sure to do it as much as possible in front of her. :) Somewhere in my mind I guess I know it's disgusting, but I do it anyway.

Petra said...

If you don't mind it, power to ya!

Anna said...

Dr. Know sounds great. Thanks for the info.

And I'm glad you are feeling good about therapy. It only works if you let it... but it can work.

Petra said...

I felt like I had nothing to say but the time flew by faster than ever :) so I must have had more to say than I realized.