Tuesday, March 7

I'd have really missed out

Work was a little rough today. Especially since I had my therspist appt today at lunch so my day was broken up. Neither of the compounds I made were clean enough to go out today. But I went to my session and it was good. She thinks I'm making good progress. She said, "now if only we could find you a boyfriend?" I was like, "can you?" I'll take all the help I can get at this point.

Got home right at 510pm tonight, all good. Lots of time to get ready and get to the alumni dinner. Right? Well I didn't leave until 550pm which didn't leave much time to get lost. Which I did. After 20min of driving around, I pulled over, called 411, got the number of the place. Called them and got directions from where I was. The guy I spoke to made it sound very easy. It'd have been easier if he'd also told me that the library was almost exactly opposite the place. Anyhoo, I almost gave up and drove home, but decided to take one more go at it.

I'm so glad that I did, cause I found it and it was a really good night. Met new people, also reconnected with a few people I knew at college and had lost touch with. Lots of familiar faces. Exchanged numbers and business cards with several people tonight.

One of the highlights of tonight - "I thought I'd never see you again" - he sounded so sad when he said it. This guy C, we spent a really cool summer together. Him and a couple other guys and I were doing interships at school, summer 2001. Very few students were on-campus and so as a result you hung with people who normally you might say hi to but not necessarily spend much time with. Anyhoo, we had great fun that summer, I have pics of us playing silly games. I had a mini-crush on this guy (of course :) This happened just after Ozzy and before Lit. But we didn't really hang out much after that. We were also in a church youth group together. I have several pics of us from that summer. One of the pics of us, I remember my granma was looking at it and said, "is he your boyfriend?" I was like, "umm, no, we're just friends". Then she said, "he likes you". Granmas, gotta love them.

I also reconnected tonight with another girl who was also part of that youth group. We exchanged numbers. We live 5min from each other. We were chatting tonight about how sometimes you get someone's number but they don't really want you to call them. So funny cause I wrote about that here recently. Well, I'm calling her Sat cause she's interested in maybe joining choir at the church I go to. She hasn't found a church she likes to go to regularly yet, so it should be good.

When I go to alumni things, it brings back lots of great memories. You talk about the places you frequented (ok the bars) and reminisce. I had a great time at college. I did a lot of studying, sure, but I also had tons of fun and met great people. I'm so glad I had those experiences and met the people I met. Tonight was great b/c there were many people at tonight's event and many of them were around my age. Most of the other events I've been to have people who graduated 15/20/30yrs ago. Not a lot in common with me. So glad I didn't bail tonight when I first got lost. I'd have really missed out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time! Honestly I cannot count the times I've tried to go to a place, gotten lost, then I just gave up and went home. It is absolutely amazing how easily I can get lost somewhere. Who knows how I've made it through Europe twice. I had much worse luck in a an American city of 5,000 people than I did in Prague!

Petra said...

Usually I give up and go home and feel like a loser - so I wanted to try something different for a change :)

I'm scared of traveling on my own - I think it's really cool that you have before and will again.